Sunday, February 15, 2009

Yay Sunshine!!

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; those who seek find; and to those who knock, the door will be opened” – Matthew 7:7-8

I have asked for so much and I have received in abundance these past two weeks. Every day is a battle but the reward at the end of the day is entirely worth it. To know that every smile and handshake given on the street has changed a stranger’s day will mean more to me than I can even begin to explain.

The weather for the past two days has been wonderful! The sun has been out all day and the rain has been gracious enough to wait until evening. The sun keeps everyone’s spirits up and the people here seem to truly enjoy sunlight… Especially after the week of rain we have had.

Today I went to the local prison to start taking Kinyarwanda lessons. I start next Thursday and cannot wait! The prisoners teach the lessons and they are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. My teacher has a daughter at Sonrise and when she found out I was teaching there, she was beside herself. She told me to make sure I give her daughter a greeting from her mother. I told her I would be honored. The prisoners wear either orange or pink uniforms. The individuals wearing pink have already had their trial while the ones in orange are still waiting for their trial. Many people there are still waiting for their trial from the events of the genocide. Prison doesn’t work quite the same here as it does in the U.S. The gates to the prison are wide open (keep in mind there are multiple guards with very big guns that are fully loaded). Prisoners are not kept in cells. They are free to roam the grounds as they please. There are young children inside who are waiting for their “learn to speak English” lessons. Some prisoners are quick with a smile while others have a faraway look in their eyes. They are longing for another life or perhaps reminiscing about the mistakes of the past, I’m not sure. I’m looking forward to spending more time there and getting to know some of the prisoners. I will be sure to keep everyone updated about these adventures!

Grace and Peace

1 comment:

  1. Britt,

    It never ceases to amaze me how reading about the lessons you are learning in Africa touch my heart and give me strength to overcome what I face here in Colorado. I am fascinated by your experiences at the prison. What are most of the people there for? What crime did they commit? The variety of things you are doing amazes me. I feel a bit absurd asking but do you ever feel like you are in danger? I am so happy you have enjoyed sunny weather. It was cloudy yesterday and you don't realize how negatively that effects your mood until its a beautiful sunny day and you well 1000% better!

    Ms. Africa, I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Though there have been several times when I have yearned to run to Starbucks with you and get things off my chest, having you away has encouraged me to turn to the Big Man up top for answers. Thank you for the friendship that you have blessed me with, you are changing the world girl.

    God Bless and love always,

    Parker

    ReplyDelete