Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hello Everyone!

Hello from Musanze!!

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight" - Proverbs 3:5-6.

For the past week I have had to rely heavily on God and this verse. Coming from the comfort of my small little bubble in Littleton, Colorado and going to Rwanda has been quite the change. Culture shock has taken on a whole new meaning in my heart. Every day I walk down streets where I am no longer a human being but rather a walking dollar bill. This makes it hard to have conversations and greet people. But those who know me realize this will not stop me from getting to know (or just talk to) everyone I can : ).

The children refer to me as "Muzungu" which means "white person" in Kinyarwandan which is the language many people speak here. At first my dad and I laughed at it until we figured out most of the kids were making fun of us... But lets be honest who wouldn't? My dad left today which was hard. Reality set in that I have to be a big kid now... Which is good!!!

The country of Rwanda is absolutely breath taking! Those who have not had the opportunity to visit should get here immediately! And the people are the cherry on top. They are constantly smiling, waving, saying good morning (it could be 7 at night and they will still greet you with good morning. I love it and respond with good morning as well : )) or wanting a hand shake. The forgiveness that has happened and is happening presently is astonishing. It amazes me with each passing day. However I can still sense a bitter/stale anger under the surface with some individuals. I have talked to a couple of strangers (now friends) who are thrilled at their "New Rwanda" and others who still despise what happened but are forced to wear a grin on their faces. Some predict another sort of uprising again. I look forward to talking to more and more people so that I can hear their hearts.

I would love to write more but I have to get to bed so I'll be able to wake up for my morning jog!! I will tell all of you more about my adventures very soon!

God Bless

3 comments:

  1. Britt!!!

    I am so excited to hear about your beginning experiences in Africa. I hope you and your dad enjoyed the time spent together and I pray for your safety and overall well-being everyday. I miss you big time already and have had to stick it out without the BFroi a couple times, but I think I can handle it.

    What is the plan for the soccer coaching? Has that already begun or will you still be familiarizing yourself with Rwanda for a period of time before soccer starts?

    You are so brave and courageous and passionate for pursuing this experience Brittany. Thank you for being such an inspiration and thank you for modeling such wonderful values for me. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for all 8 years of your presence.

    By the way, could I please get your email?

    Love Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britt,

    You are unbelievable. Your strength and courage is astonishing. Yet, again it always has been so I really should not be surprised. I am fascinated by your encounters with the people of Rwanda. Frankly, they are lucky to have such a wonderful example of what Americans can represent living amongst them. There is not a day that passes when I don’t think about you and your safety. However, knowing that after 6 months of waiting you are finally able to pursue this mission is inspiring. Although yoga is certainly not the same without you (and I haven’t been successful in convincing a certain someone to join me yet), the work you are doing and the lives you are positively impacting is the greatest glory of all. I will continue to pray for you and your safety. I really miss you girl.

    Love Always,

    Parker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Britt: It is so good to hear that you and your Dad arrived safely and that things are going well. Will try to get down to see your folks before long and to see the photos and video that your Dad took. We are so very proud of you and will continue to keep you in our prayers. Love You, GJ

    ReplyDelete